The money talk, that is. Despite financial considerations long being established as a key cause of marital discord, far too many fail to have this important premarital conversation. Noted financial counselor Carrie Schwab-Pomeranz suggests discussing at least the following key areas:
• What do you own?
• What do you owe?
• Are you a spender or a saver?
• What are your spending priorities? For example, would you rather have a house, a new car or a vacation?
• If you can’t afford to pay cash, do you wait or grab the credit card?
• Do you always pay bills on time?
• Are you able to consistently save, or do you run out of money before running out of days in the month?
• Money: yours, mine, ours or all three?
• Have you started retirement savings?
• How do you define “rich”?
We love to help new couples plan for their financial future. After you give each other a ring, give us one too, and we’ll help you get everything straight from the start.