Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: Human Resources – Team Lead
The primary responsibility for this role is supporting the Human Resources Consulting team. The Human Resource Generalist will also assist with the daily functions of the Human Resource (HR) department including hiring and interviewing, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices for the agency.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Assists the agency’s clients in all HR functions including but not limited to recruiting, onboarding, employee/supervisor relations, compliance/employment law issues, and handbook/policy reviews; act as the subject matter expert in these areas.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Conducts or acquires background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Implements new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to payroll processing (bi-weekly and 1099 pay),compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Contribute articles for monthly newsletters in regards to relevant HR topics and issues.
- Maintain HR certifications by attending accredited seminars and training courses.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Frequent contact with management, team members, and customers.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility, and flexibility
- Problem solving skills
- Outstanding ability to multi-task
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to interact with customers and co-workers in a professional manner
- Must be proficient in MS Office software, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Attention to detail
- High-energy, friendly, outgoing personality
- Writing, composition, and grammar skills adequate to create professional quality letters and emails.
- Some college coursework specific to a General Business or Human Resources preferred
- 2+ years of experience in Human Resources
- PHR, SPHR or SHRM-CP, SHRM SCP Certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, bend, stretch, and walk. Vision requirements include reading a computer monitor, peripheral vision, and the ability to look from screen to objects on desk to visitors walking in the door. Color vision needed. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work is frequently performed inside a temperature controlled, office building. Level of noise varies in this fast-paced, busy work environment.